Friday, January 27, 2012
Freshwater Aquarium Hobbyists and Invasive Species in the Houston-Galveston Region
Abstract from the document:
The overall goal of the project was to conduct the background research required to develop an invasive potential scorecard that integrated biological, ecological and social data.
The specific objectives were:
- Identify key factors driving pet owner release of non-native invasive species (NNIS) into natural systems (availability potential).
- Characterize the social and market networks through which these species are exchanged (release potential).
- Identify ecological factors affecting ecosystem invasion potential (survival and reproduction potential).
- Create a framework for an Invasive Potential Scorecard.
- Apply insights to potential non-regulatory approaches to inhibit release of NNIS.